How to Overcome Shyness When Facing Large Audiences
Posted on: August 7, 2017
Do you remember the last time you faced a large audience and you felt a rush of emotions pulsing through your veins? Or maybe it was due to the rush of emotions that all of the sudden you were confused and couldn’t remember what it is that you were here to say. You may be surprised to know but you are not alone! This is one of the most common fears, the fear of public speaking or performing in front of large audiences. Johnny Depp the famous Hollywood star also suffers from social anxiety disorder. Depp, is well known on the silver screen for playing audacious and valiant roles while in reality he also suffers social anxiety disorder. He has undergone treatment several times but he is still an introvert and the bouts of aggression in public are often associated to this. Many students suffer from the same issue or you can say that this is a common problem of them.
If overcoming shyness is such a big issue, is there a cure? Is there a way in which we can comprehend how to get over shyness once and for all? Just like medication is prescribed only when we are sick, similarly the cure will only apply when the attack of shyness sets in. It needs to be applied every time the invasion of how to overcome shyness sets in. Just like exams preparation needs to be done for every single test. There is no single cure for every occurrence of anxiety that will ever occur in your life span. Let us look at the initiatives you can take to counter each episode of how to overcome shyness successfully.
- Comprehend Your Shyness: Just like everybody is different, your anxiety of facing large audiences is a unique attribute of your personality. There can be numerous triggers which provoke anxiety or scepticism within your mind. Understanding each stimulus will help you to conquer your insecurity.
- Heightened Self-Consciousness: This is the first advancement of anxiety entering your mind. We believe that everyone is somehow focusing on each one of our actions. We may be able to write a narrative essay eloquently, but when time comes to articulate it in front a large audience, we become conscious and apprehensive of every single one of our actions. Realise that everyone is not concentrating on each and every one of your actions. They are all probably too busy on their own.
- Practice: Before coming up on stage to read out your UK essay writing, rehearse the whole speech reconstructing the actual stage environment you will be facing. Disregarding the shyness, your skills need to be impeccable.
- Transformation of Focus: Instead of thinking of how everyone is focusing on you and your actions, focus outward on the events and the characters present before you.
- Deep Breathing: This is an exercise which will help you to calm your nerves. With your eyes closed, take a deep breath, hold it to the count of five, and release. Think of all the negative energy leaving your body as you exhale. Do this three times before getting on stage.
- Confidence: Remember the reason why you are up there facing such a huge gathering. Be confident in your own goals and know that you possess the capability and expertise in the subject which you are about to speak on in front of this huge gathering.